Suggestions on how to write an argumentative research paper
When you are in school one of the most common papers you will have to write is the argumentative research paper. The purpose of this is to test not only your research skills but your argumentative skills. Your job here is to think of the paper as a debate or conversation you are having with a friend. You want to argue one side of a topic and argue it so well that your opponents or readers will want to change sides.
It is important that you also pick a topic you like because it will make it much easier for you to debate something if you are passionate about it.
If you are interested in topics that relate to the field of education you can write about the following:
- Is cheating in schools becoming worse?
- Should students be allowed to give grades to their teachers?
- Does your particular school give too many students an A grade?
- Should drug testing be a requirement for middle school students?
- How efficiently do standardized tests measure academic abilities?
- Is too much time spent by students on standardized test prep?
- Should schools provide a cash bonus for higher test scores?
- Should the amount of time spent in high school be reconsidered?
- Are students in need of more opportunities to be creative?
- What things are really be learned at your school?
- Is arts education important?
- Does physical education help students to do better in the rest of their courses?
- Should there be a new law with regards to who can access student records?
- Should the children of illegal immigrants be given free public education or not?
- Is there a good versus bad amount of group work?
- Is the school day currently too short?
- Should school be year round?
- Should there be an increase in the dropout age?
- Should students who are doing well in school be allowed to skip their senior year?
- How well does your school do with handling misbehaving children?
- Should corporal punishment be allowed in school?
- Is bullying a problem in your school?
- What efforts can schools put forth to counter bullying?
- Should schools place tracking devices into the identification cards of students?
- Should students in school be grouped based on their abilities?